Nova Scotia Lighthouses

Since the first lighthouse was built in 1734 at Louisburg, lighthouses all around Nova Scotia’s coast have have guided vessels from around the world into our harbours. They have warned of hazards, have guided access to harbours and served as land-based markers. The light coming into view was a welcome sight for those who had been at sea for weeks or months and a welcome home to those sailors returning to their homeport.

By the middle of the 20th century there were over 170 lighthouses on our coasts as well as 180 smaller beacons. Our lighthouses were fully automated by the second half of the 20th century . Since then, modern navigational equipment has made lighthouses essentially redundant .

As lighthouses were decommissioned, many fell to ruin or were demolished but many, like the Medway Head Lighthouse, have been acquired by community groups , have been restored, and have made available to visitors. The Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society connects and encourages the local societies and provides an interesting website.